ECU Libraries Catalog

Littleton College Memorial Association papers, 1873, 1892-1987.

Abstract Correspondence primarily deals with the activities and work of the Association. Topics include the Association's efforts in providing a home and financial support for Rev. and Mrs. Rhodes; the formation of the Association; travel in the South; Valdosta, Ga.; and the Association's annual reunions. Minutes contain speeches, addresses, remarks, and programs of yearly meetings. Collection also includes a "reunion book" that contains a year-by-year listing of graduates from Littleton College; biographies of various students and leaders associated with Littleton College; a copy of a joint resolution of the North Carolina General Assembly honoring Frances Renfrow Doak, a former student at Littleton College; and Dr. Rives's booklet, "A Brief History of Littleton College." Of note is a folder containing photocopies of letters and post cards concerning S. A. Stewart and wife Lillian B. Stewart and their work as missionaries in Kobe, Japan. Commentaries concern efforts to learn the Japanese language and the teaching of English. Printed materials include commencement programs, report cards, salutatorian and valedictorian addresses, certificates, graduation invitations, and student publications. North Carolina Wesleyan College items include issues of the "North Carolina Wesleyan College Bulletin" and editions of "The President's Report and Honor Roll." One folder contains information and a brochure concerning the former Wesleyan Female College in Murfreesboro.
Access restrictionJoyner- No access restrictions.
Cite as Littleton College Memorial Association Papers (#114), Special Collections Department, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Terms of useJoyner- Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Acquisitions source Joyner- Gift of Dr. Ralph Hardee Rives.
Biographical noteOriginally chartered as "Central Institute for Young Ladies," Littleton Female College first opened its doors in January 1882 to eleven students. Under the leadership of Reverend James Manly Rhodes, the physical plant of the school was greatly expanded in 1889, and by 1908 the institution had an enrollment of 285 pupils. In 1912 the name was again changed to Littleton College. Instruction included traditional domestic arts, mathematics, chemistry, physics, and biology. In January of 1919 a fire swept the entire complex and the school was not rebuilt. In 1926 the Littleton College Memorial Association was formed by a group of former students interested in keeping the spirit and memory of the institution alive.

Available Items

Library Location Call Number Status Item Actions
Joyner Manuscript Collection #114 - DOES NOT CIRCULATE ✔ Available Request Material