||The collection consists of correspondence, which is of a general nature and is primarily from the National Headquarters and the N.C. Division Headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy; minutes of monthly meetings (1920-1953); financial records (1928-1953); essays; reports; pamphlets; popular sheet music and lyrics of the Confederate States; and extensive newspaper and magazine clippings. Of interest is a letter (September 1937) from a Confederate veteran who had been "adopted" by the Singletary Chapter. The letter concerns the veteran's involvement in the war and describes the capture of Fort Fisher (Wilmington, N.C.). There are also miscellaneous materials, including programs from Lee-Jackson day celebrations and two souvenir booklets concerning Fort Fisher.
|Access restriction||Joyner- No access restrictions.|
||George B. Singletary Chapter U.D.C. Papers (#108), Special Collections Department, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
||Joyner- Gift of Mrs. J. G. Lautares.
|Biographical note||The George B. Singletary Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized June 19, 1899, in Greenville, N.C., by Mrs. T. J. Jarvis who served as its first president. Owing to the failure of several members to pay back dues, the charter was lost but a reorganization of the chapter restored the charter April 1, 1920. The Greenville chapter was named in honor of Colonel George B. Singletary, Commander of the 44th Regiment N.C. Troops.|